How Is a Conveyancer Different to a Solicitor

A conveyancing professional is involved with the settlement and title transfer of real estate assets. This role can be filled by a licensed conveyancer or a conveyancing solicitor. This can sometimes lead to confusion, with different job titles and qualifications used to describe a similar area of specialisation.

If you’re interested in buying or selling property in Gisborne or elsewhere in the Macedon Ranges, it’s important to understand conveyancing roles, conveyancing fees, and how they relate to job titles and specialisations.

Conveyancing can be complex and difficult to understand without specialist knowledge. This process includes a wide range of tasks, including examining and exchanging the contract for sale, arranging inspections, arranging finance, paying the deposit, making payments, looking into planned developments, and overseeing the change of title.

Conveyancing can be carried out by a conveyancer or a solicitor, with fees often related to specific tasks and documentation requirements. Fees can and do vary between solicitors and conveyancers, and are often broken down as conveyancing costs, legal fees, or disbursements.

How do the roles differ?

A conveyancer and a solicitor can both be employed to help with property settlement, including title transfer and related details. Specialist conveyancers and solicitors are both equally qualified and bound by the same legal obligations, including a requirement to have professional indemnity insurance. You can even perform many of these tasks yourself if you’re feeling brave, but you may not have the skills or be able to obtain the right insurance.

  • A conveyancer is trained and qualified to handle the transfer of real estate between parties. They offer professional legal advice related to title transfers and conduct work to ensure a smooth sale. A conveyancer has the ability to handle a title transfer without being a fully qualified lawyer.
  • A property solicitor is a general legal practitioner with the knowledge and skills to carry out house conveyancing. Not all solicitors have the training required to perform property conveyancing. However, those that do can offer additional legal advice and services related to the property, including taxation and mortgages.

If you’re interested in buying, selling, or transferring property in Gisborne or elsewhere in the Macedon Ranges, a specialist property lawyer can help with all aspects of conveyancing and property law.